Tuesday, March 20, 2012


I copied this from a friend off Facebook.  It reminded me of what I was thinking after my 16 mile run last Sunday.  After about mile 10 I seriously wanted to be done.  The last 6 seemed like they took forever but I kept the same pace.  Afterward, walking the mile back to my car along the beach, I considered "why am I doing this?"  I had the same conversation with myself again.  It is a constant battle with my flesh.  I push until I hear the beep on my watch every 20 minutes so I can justify a 30 second walk and take my Endurolyte (electrolyte capsule) and suck down some Perpetuem (liquid nutrition).  I battle my flesh screaming to stop and walk the entire 3 plus hours I am out there.  I think of how I thought I was done with all of this.  Wasn't IronMan my goal?  I figured I would continue to do triathlons, small ones with  no pressure goals.  My first goal after IM Florida was to complete all levels of IronMan (5i50 - Olympic distance, and 70.3 - half IM).  Just fun to say I did all three levels, easy, no pressure.  But no!  Then came the challenge of Boston.  I realized that Boston is not just a marathon.  To be invited to do the oldest, fastest marathon, that I would never physically be able to qualify for, is quite nerve racking.  I keep telling myself "this ain't Disney".  In more ways than one.  I ran the Disney marathon and there is that opportunity to do it for fun.  We would stop and take pictures with Cinderella and Micky Mouse, dodge the tourists, and enjoy the view and smells of each country as we ran through Epcot.  There is something "magical" and light hearted about running Disney.  Boston on the other hand is serious stuff.  Gotta finish in 6 hours or less and look like I know what I am doing!  Crazy to know that someone will finish in just a bit over 2 hours while I am suffering to run 12-13 minute miles and only walk when my watch beeps every 20 minutes.  So, I ask the Lord "why have you called me to persevere, to suffer, to conquer my flesh?"  I don't have to wait for an answer because I already know what He is saying "so you can look more like my Son...because I have great plans for you....because the eternal reward is great....because...I love you."  He uses endurance sport in my life to focus me, to build my faith, to remind me of the strength He provides, to help me to practice conquering my flesh, to bless me.  Help me Father to never forget...to keep moving forward...to trust you, so one day it will make sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment