For the past two weeks in chapel, the students heard Pastor Chet and Pastor Mike speak on "Strengthening the Mind". Funny thing is, that message was for me. Pastor Chet quoted one of my favorite verses reminding us to "take captive every thought to the obedience of Christ Jesus". I can remember using this verse to re-focus me when James and I had our toughest times. My worldly, fleshly thinking always took me off track and into discouragement. That is right where the enemy wanted me. Pastor Mike reminded us to "renew our minds". It's like we have to constantly reprogram our thinking. During my training for IronMan, I have many opportunities to do that. From battling the fear of crashing on my bike or getting hit by a car, to injuring myself or not being able to finish the workout if I push too hard...I struggle with my mind. Yesterday I had a swim workout scheduled, 5x500 at the pool. I swam the first 500 at 19:58 then decided to swim the second faster. I focused on two words "longer and stronger" and finished that second 500 at 13:58. I got excited and decided to do each 500 faster. The third I felt a cramp in my side and repeated "overcome on three" believing I would overcome the pain and push through. I did! I finished that set at 13:33. The next was even better at 13:12. Getting "longer and stronger" I made the decision to make my fifth set the fastest ever. I finished that one in 13:05. I cried at the wall of the pool, knowing that God was faithful to push me through.
Today, I had another decision to make...how I was to do 100 mile bike ride. I planned my nutrition with Perpetuem bottles every two hours, and Enduralyte every 20 min and supplement with a Hammer bar. The other goal I had was to keep my pace at 15 mph average (a high goal for me, but what I need to do in the race). I kept it strong for the first 60 miles with an incredible focus on my goals and a pace of 15mph. At mile 70 it began to rain. I never once considered stopping but at mile 90 the rain was becoming dangerous so I took shelter for 20 minutes. It was a very tough ride but I made it home safely, keeping to my plan and only stopping at miles 30, 60, and 90 to get ice and extra nutrition. I cramped a little but pushed through and the entire ride averaged 14.6 mph. Close but encouraging.
I am realizing just how powerful the mind is. With that rain, I got a little nervous but took shelter only when I really needed to and pushed through the light rain when normally I would have looked for that excuse to stop. While I took shelter, I received a text from a friend with a verse. It was a Psalm saying that the angels take charge over my life and I don't have to fear. I knew God was with me and telling me to push through and finish the last 10 miles, that He would get me home safely and He did.
Thank you for sharing your journey! You are an inspiration!
ReplyDelete